Skilled Home Healthcare Services
Cost Effective. Clinically Advanced. Patient Preferred.
- Home healthcare agencies provide services to patients who are homebound and require skilled care (nursing or therapy).
- Many healthcare treatments that were once offered only in a hospital or a physician's office can now be safely, effectively, and efficiently provided in patients' homes by skilled clinicians. Home healthcare is generally less expensive, more convenient, and as effective as care provided in a hospital or skilled nursing facility.
- Home healthcare can serve as an intermediate level of care for patients who have difficulty accessing outpatient care or who need intensive assistance with an acute or chronic health problem. For example, Medicare beneficiaries returning home after a hospitalization often receive home healthcare to assist them with the transition.
- In 2010, approximately 3.5 million Medicare beneficiaries received home healthcare services.
- In 2010, more than 500,000 registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, home healthcare aides, and other practitioners provided home healthcare to patients.